Barcelona have issued a statement on their website demanding that authors, as well as the news outlet themselves, retract comments that suggest club president Josep Maria Bartomeu signed Brazilian midfielder Paulinho because of the interests of a company he owns.
The statement warns that if these allegations are not retracted, then Barcelona, as well as Bartomeu as an individual, will look to take legal action against the outlet where these comments were made.
The statement, issued on the club website, reads: “This morning FC Barcelona have requested a retraction to the authors of the article as well as to the media outlet that published the story in which the president of the Club, Josep Maria Bartomeu, is accused of having signed the player Paulinho Bezerra as part of a deal which favoured the interests of his company.
“Given the false nature of this news story and the fact that it implies an illegal activity has taken place, if a retraction is not forthcoming both the Club and the president as an individual will take the corresponding legal steps. These steps will include a specific request for damages incurred with regards to the image of the Club.
“FC Barcelona will not tolerate false information to be published which may damage the Club or those who form part of said Club and it calls for professional responsibility from those who have made use of the story without corroborating the information published.”
Barcelona are still believed to be active in the transfer market, having sold Neymar to Paris Saint-Germain for a world record transfer fee of €222m. Previously linked with Italian international Marco Verratti, attentions have now been turned to Liverpool’s Philippe Coutinho and Borussia Dortmund’s Ousmane Dembélé as potential recruits in Catalonia.
?Arda Turan has been on the fringes of life at the Nou Camp since his arrival at the club in 2015. The Turkey international wasn’t permitted to play for Barcelona for the first few months of his contract due to a transfer ban, and has struggled for game time ever since.
Turan has been at the heart of transfer speculation linking the player back to his former club Galatasaray, and it was thought the attacker might be open to a switch.
Speaking to beIN SPORTS (via ?FourFourTwo), Turan’s agent Ahmet Bulut denied that any agreement has been reached, saying: “
It has been reported however that Barca boss Ernesto Valverde has told Turan that he will not likely feature for the Spanish giants this season.
?Lionel Messi did his level best to try and convince Neymar to remain a Barcelona player, and even told him he’d make him a Ballon d’Or.
The Brazilian superstar stunned the footballing world by completing a switch to Paris Saint-Germain a few weeks ago for the value of his buy-out clause of £198m.
He did so in order to give himself the best chance of becoming the world’s best player, and was reported to have felt uncomfortable in teammate Messi’s shadow.
A report from ?Sport has now revealed that the Argentine genius actually tried to persuade Neymar to stay at the Nou Camp with a promise to help him become the greatest.
Apparently Messi, along with fellow South American Luis Suarez, met with the 25-year-old on the eve of Barca’s clash with Juventus in the International Champions Cup, and Messi offered to aid Neymar in his quest for individual honours.
It is no secret that the former Santos prospect wants to win a Ballon d’Or and apparently Messi said ‘
?Serie A side Napoli will make attempts to sign Barcelona’s Denis Suarez or Villarreal’s
They will entertain French outfit OGC Nice over two legs to determine who gets to play top tier European football this year, and are hopeful of making it past the Ligue 1 side.
The first leg of the playoff will take place on Napoli’s ground on Wednesday, and the home side could have a huge advantage, with both Mario Balotelli and Wesley Sneijder set to miss out due to fitness woes.
Balotelli injured his hamstring in a match against Ajax last month and was unable to pass a fitness test on Monday, while Sneijder still needs a few weeks to regain full match fitness.
If the Italian side qualifies for the Champions League, they will be looking to bolster their squad, and have already set sights on the aforementioned Suarez and Castillejo.
Reports from Spain suggest that contact has already been made over the central midfielder, but Barcelona aren’t keen on letting him go as he is in Ernesto Valverde’s plans for the upcoming campaign.
It is believed, however, that they may consider selling for the sum of
Brazilian star Paulinho has shown the extent to which he was willing to go to join Barcelona by paying
Paulinho has paid €7.5M from his own money to join Barcelona. [MD]
— Catalan Edition (@CatalanEdition) August 14, 2017
His performances have been good enough to be rewarded with a